Below are listed articles, mostly written by others, that are useful for academic life or considering entering academic life. The content belongs to the authors.
REVIEWING and PEER REVIEW
- Accepting a request to review a manuscript or grant (by Lilienfeld)
- If you can’t be kind in peer review, be neutral (by Baglini & Parsons)
APPLYING to GRADUATE SCHOOL
- Differences between North American and European experiences
- Searching for graduate programmes in Social/Personality
GRADUATE STUDENT RIGHTS
- “It takes a village to raise a child…” (by Kai Jonas; EASP position on structural changes to provide support to early career researchers who are mistreated by mentors etc by helping with mentoring, reference letter support).
APPLYING for a POSTDOCTORAL POSITION
- How to Pick (and Fund) a Postdoc (SPSP advice)
- How to find a postdoc position that’s right for you (ScienceMag)
- Asking for reference letters from professors (by J. Aucoin)
- How to ask for a reference letter (by A. Chapnick) [great how-to guide]
CAREER INFO (for students)
- SPSP's Applied Psychology resources (including info on non-academic internships).
RESEARCH, PUBLISHING, WRITING, GIVING TALKS
- Publication "arms race" (by Dr. Barrett)
- APAv7 Style Guide (for specific help/guidance, click HERE).
- Navigating the not-so-hidden treasures of the APA Style website (w specific topic links on the right)
- Boosting the signal [tips on writing & delivering a strong academic talk]